An 18th century battery in Qala, which is nearing the end of a five-year restoration job, has just got its coat of arms back.
Master mason Leli Bufajra worked through the winter to carve the missing coat of arms that once adorned the entrance to St Anthony’s Battery on Qala Point, overlooking the straits of Comino. He used a two-metre block of hard stone chosen from a Gozo quarry to carve the coat of arms of Grand Master de Vilhena and the cross of the Order of St John together with an inscription by the Governor of Gozo. The inscription reads: “Nel governo del Cav Fra Paulo Antonio de Viguier, 1732”.
Din l-Art Ħelwa has been restoring the battery since 2007 in a joint project with the Qala local council with funds from the Malta Environment and Planning Authority derived from planning gains. Both the local council and the NGOs have also chipped in through their restoration funds.
The work on the battery, which had been left in total abandon with decayed and crumbling walls, is at an advanced stage. It is expected to be ready to receive visitors this summer.
Above pics and story taken from the Times of Malta
For quality accommodation in Gozo www.gozofarmhouserentals.com