Lovely story

I have just come across an entry in a ''Surfing mum's'' blog. Paula has just lost her grandfather and her family were going thru his personal things that were in a deposit box somewhere. Read on:

''We got back to my house and my granny and I started looking through the the folders and pictures. Her and I laughed at all of the pictures and I could see tears in her eyes as she reread the letters she had written to my grandfather some 60 years ago.My dad took the box from his Navy days to the living room and was looking through that.In a little bit my dad came back into the kitchen holding a small box that contained a medal and a piece of paper and he said to my granny "I never knew Paul won the Navy Cross, he never said a word about it and we talked about his old war days a lot." Granny said that Granpy Paul got so many medals during his days in the Navy that she didn't know what any of them were. I could see my dad was impressed about Granpy Paul's Navy Cross so I asked him what it was. He told me that the Navy Cross is second only to the Congressional Medal of Honor and only awarded for some extreme act of heroism, then he handed me the citation that accompanied the medal.It read like this:
Paul A. WarnerMachinist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy
U.S.S. SearavenDate of Action: April 18, 1942Citation:The Navy Cross is hereby presented to Paul A. Warner, Machinist's Mate First Class, U.S. Navy, for extraordinary heroism in action on the night of April 18 and 19, 1942.While a member of a boat and rescue party seeking to evacuate a group of distressed Australian aviators, grounded on the island of Timor, N.E.I. and with enemy forces present in the vicinity and searching for the party, Machinist's Mate First Class Warner swam ashore through the surf and after considerable difficulty and with great danger to himself, made contact with the Australians. He made several trips through the surf, superintended the transfer of the sick and wounded men to the U.S.S. Searaven and saved two from drowning. Machinist's Mate First Class Warner displayed extraordinary heroism under exceptionally trying conditions. His actions were in complete disregard of his personal safety and are an inspiring example of devotion to duty. His high courage and determination on this occasion are in accord with the best traditions of the Navy of the United States.It would figure that my Granpy Paul would win this country's second highest medal for heroism, not by killing people, but for saving them and never mention a word to anyone that he had done it.This is Paula the Surf Mom, remembering and smiling and wishing ya'll peace, love and good waves.... I'm out for now.''

Thats such a lovely story and there are so many lovely true life war stories out there. These things should never be forgotten. They should all be compiled in volumes of books. Some already are ofcourse but so many of them are written cos that particular person was famous for reason or other. Its these 'family accounts' that I find so interesting. You can go into Paula's blog (which is pretty impressive in its presentation etc) by going onto my favourites list and its listed under Queen of the Surf Pirates.

Comments

Thanks for mentioning My Grampy, he was a very special man and it has been a very difficult week for us all here